As I shared in my earlier post on Everyday Fashion, I have been studying (read: looking) lota fashion bloggers. I discovered one very interesting blog – Unity in Fashion. The pictures are straight outta fashion mag . Very well done! I look at such perfection and realize how funny and clumsy I am about fashion; I totally look like Cinderella’s poor cousin (cos Ms. C eventually married P. Charmin’ and got access to all those fantablous dresses. Me, I m still lookin for the one!!)! 🙂 Anyway, before I ramble any further, take a look at how this blogger is totally rocking the mini-skirt fad!
This one has a mystical and dreamy quality to it. Pretty-stunning!
Interesting facts about mini-skirts:
- The earliest known culture to have females wear clothing resembling miniskirts were the Duan Qun Miao, which literally meant “short skirt Miao” in Chinese. This was in reference to the short miniskirts “that barely cover the buttocks” worn by women of the tribe, and which were “probably shocking” to observers in medieval and early modern times.
- Mary Quant ran a popular clothes shop in Kings Road, Chelsea, London, called Bazaar, from which she sold her own designs. In the late 1950s she began experimenting with shorter skirts, culminating in the creation of the miniskirt in 1964—one of the defining fashions of the decade. Quant named the miniskirt after her favourite make of car, the Mini.
- In spring of 1982, (see June Time Magazine) short skirts began to re-emerge, notably in the form of “rah-rahs”, which were modeled on those worn by female cheerleaders at sporting and other events. In the mid-1980s the “puffball” skirt enjoyed short term popularity, being worn by, among others, the Princess of Wales and singers Pepsi and Shirli.
Why wear mini-skirts:
- They are more interesting than wearing pants
- They have more flare and verve.
- Believe it or not, short skirts are great for lazy people. Easy to put on and take off. :p
- Believe it or not, short skirts lead to excellent fitness. First, they remind the wearer of the importance of regular exercise. While it is easy to hide inconvenient fitness truths under baggy clothes and pants, short skirts bear one’s body for the whole world to see. This keeps the wearer honest- and conscientious about gym attendance.
What are your reasons for sporting a mini-skirt?
Till then, I am sippin’ on my fashion chai and learning to be fashionable!
- Style Guide: What To Wear With Your Trendy Drop-Waist Mini Skirt (styleblazer.com)
- Cute Lil Skirt (shilohlyric.wordpress.com)